Friday, March 19, 2010

Who is Calling with callVRS?

When we think of Keith Wann, we think of MANY things. Coda, Comedian, Entrepreneur, Author, Performer, Presenter, Consultant, Interpreter, and much more. I met him at one of his ASLComedyTour shows. He is a nice guy who cares about the Deaf communities across the USA. Meanwhile, his most recent project is callVRS.info (note the info... It's not .tv)
According to their website, callVRS.org, they do not offer IP-Relay, Captel, or VCO. However, they offer VRS and VRI. They are partnered with CSDVRS, but they are in the process of getting certified by FCC. Additionally, they offer several more options that are unique.

Dial "dbvrs.info" to connect with one of our Deaf-Blind friendly interpreters.

Dial "trivrs.info" to access trilingual interpreters serving the Deaf-Latino community.

Dial "ASLstory.info" to see the latest ASL story for children. Updated every month. This month's story is "Papa do you love me?" done by Keith Wann"

Hearing people may  call at 877-241-1411

I decided to give up my Friday night for the greater good and went ahead to test their TriVRS.info. However, there wasn't any answer. I waited for 15 minutes. I wonder if it was past their hours of operations. And don't worry, that 15 minutes weren't wasted. I took 10 minutes of that to make a delicious sandwich. Then I tried out their DBVRS.info. I got an interpreter who looked like a skinny Mr. Clean. It did make me chuckle for a second. Anyway, the interpreter was up close to the screen and made sure his hands were within the "head-to-shoulders" frame. He did above average job translating my ASL. He might be tired.

That's my story for tonight. When you have time, you should go to the website and watch their video (on the left column). It is funny and entertaining. I wonder what's that guy's name is?

By the way,  the friend that I called tonight gave the interpreter just an average rating. The interpreter was not very smooth and stumbled over words often.  There were pauses in the conversation.  He didn't seem as efficient as my friend is used to hearing on the VRS calls.

Next VRS Provider: ConvoRelay

2 comments:

  1. have you tried this service again? the trivrs. part?

    ReplyDelete
  2. a while back I tried using callvrs in evening and had a long hold time... the other evening I used callvrs and got through to some good interpreter. I have used them a couple times and have good experience...try them.

    ReplyDelete