Thursday, March 25, 2010

Have the hawks flown away with HawkRelay.tv?


I visited http://www.hawkrelay.com/ and I saw  personal pictures of different people, couples, and families. I was touched. It encouraged me to explore their website even further. It looks like they were the first to set up DeafBlind Relay Service (DBRS) and Internet Protocol Speech-to-Speech (IP STS).

The way DBRS works is a DeafBlind will call the center and ask for a Communication Assistant (CA). The CA will come over to your house and sit down with you. The DeafBlind will tell the CA who to call. The CA will interpret the call for you. It is a pretty cool idea.

And for IP STS, it allows people with speech disabilities to make telephone calls using Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) to connect to a CA. Another cool idea.

They also offer Instant Messenger (IM). Just add HawkRelay to your list.


I became quite anxious to call @ hawkrelay.tv. (There seems to be no number for the Hearing to call). As I proceeded to call, a message appeared telling me it was not accepting any calls.  I wondered why?

I googled it up and just my luck, it filed bankruptcy. I wonder why the website is still up?? I even emailed them a few days ago to find out if they have any plans to bounce back. I haven't heard a thing from them since. I hope to get a response from them eventually.

Next VRS Provider : NationwideVRS

2 comments:

  1. Hawk Relay closed due to FCC issues and forced them to shut down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why is the website still up and running?

    ReplyDelete