Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I Zee Video Relay Service in Clearwater, Florida!

If I remember my history correctly, CSDVRS by CSD was the first company to provide Video Relay Service in South Dakota around the 2000s. Then it eventually became ZVRS and moved its headquarters to Clearwater, Florida about 2 years ago. I am curious to see what are they up to now.

Whoa, ZVRS offers an intensive list of services!



  • HolaVRS => Spanish VRS Relay
  • My 800 Number => Hearing people can call your 800 number from anywhere with no long distance charges.
  • My Contacts => Your address book can be accessed from any videophone
  • My Mail => Will leave you a video message. You can view it on your Z videophone, Internet, or Email.
  • My Phone Number => Your own 10-digit number
  • Switch My Number => You can transfer your phone number to another VRS provider with no penalty.
  • VCO Plus => You are able to talk directly into the Z videophone using their single-line VCO technology. NO need for a second phone
  • Video Communication Solutions Group => Offer solutions to both those who do and don't have firewall.
  • Video Interpreters => All their interpreters are all certified and screened to be qualified.
  • Video Relay Service (VRS) 
    • Can be contacted at ZVRS.tv or 888.888.1116
  • FYI, I could not find "zvrs.tv" anywhere on the website. I only found this through a friend of mine. Weird.
  • Z Alert => You can receive a text message notification when your call is about to come through.
  • Z™ Partner Program => Provide VRS to various organizations and Deaf clubs.

Of course, a review post cannot be complete without a call to their VRS. I called at zvrs.tv and I got a male interpreter. He looked like he was 7 feet tall. His hands were huge and his body was thin and lanky. He could be a NBA basketball player. Anyhow, I talked about the news today about Obama signing the Overhaul of the Student Loan Program. The interpreter was pretty good.  My hearing friend thought the interpreter was thorough and very understandable. He did a very good job.


Coming Next: More of ZVRS and their Z products

7 comments:

  1. Got Z4 for Mac/PC-- nice features/not best picture quality. If we look at the comparison between Viable, P3, and Z4. I'd have to say P3 is still the best videophone software in today's VRS market. Using Z4 contact list, it is very similar to VP200 contact list (P2P or VRS)-not a functional equivalence. My wife have 3 numbers (cell, home, and work). I have to fill in 3 different contacts for my wife only. That's a joke! On P3, you can just set up one person contact then add each number under one person contact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John from NTID, Graphic Design studentMarch 31, 2010 at 6:42 AM

    Agreed with Joseph Ellis. I do use iChat for ConvoRelay/HOVRSIM/PURPLEVRSIM, and video chat until I downloaded Z4 (Mac version). I could not use the iChat video on any program, except Z4. If you use the video for any program, it will go all black. I removed Z4 software. Then, it went back normal as before. One of my friends told me that ZVRS did this on purpose to prevent someone like me to use ConvoRelay and HOVRSIM/PurpleVRSIM. They have same experience as mine.

    I'd not recommend any Mac user to download Z4 if you use iChat or another programs (YouTube, iMovie, etc.). If you do not use iChat or create a vlog, go ahead and use Z4. Otherwise, better to stick with iChat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I am totally disagreed with you that ZVRS did not on purposed to prevent you to iChat. I using Z4 and iChat with PurpleVRSIM work beautiful. Remember Z4 on Mac allow you to call directly to any VP while iChat cant call directly to VP. Use your common sense!

    Joseph, you are serious? Do you have glasses on? I tested P3 compared to Z4. Both are totally different and Z4 is far better than P3 no questions!

    About contact list have issues that only for per house. I heard rumors they are working on individual contact list for each vp.

    Remember CSD is the first VRS and still honest company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Z4 is best it have H264 while P3 dont have one. I use ZVRS everyday and love it since it have VCO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. here is John again! Go Tigers Hockey!March 31, 2010 at 5:19 PM

    John--

    I called ZVRS tech support and they informed me that they will work on to fix this issue. I do not need to use any P2P call on my iMac, only use new PurpleVRSIM and ConvoRelay. Also, I use text relay service- IP-Relay and SIP Relay. Most of my friends use iChat or GoogleIM. FYi, most of my hearing friends, even professors, from IT/CS dept. They told us that they were very impressed with P3. They referred P3 to several companies ( top 500 fortune), and they agreed with them. I'm surprised!

    uhmm.. why do you bring this up about CSD is the first VRS and still honest company? Who cares about being first or last? Seems like that something is going on with CSD/ZVRS that you know about? I am talking about what do we have TODAY, now. At this point, P3 is the best videophone software today for PC. I like SIPRelay better than IP-Relay. I like both- PurpleVRSIM (picture quality) and ConvoRelay (greenbook).

    If you love Z4 or any VP software, go for it. I am entitled to share my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purple owe creditors $40 millions and $20 million to FCC! Now they are no longer on wallstreet. Now Purple is no longer on Top 500 fortune!!

    Did you know that MVP is biggest FLOP lost 20 millions invested on MVP. Its joke thats why they hurried switched to P3. However many p3 customers ported to Z4.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where do you get that information?

    $40 million? $20 million?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete