Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What does AT&T offer as a Video Relay Service (ATTVRS)

So I went onto the website (http://attvrs.com) and the website immediately gave me the option to call through either VRS or VCO.


I simply had to put in the number and click " Dial Now." So I tried to make a call from my Chrome browser, but instead, I got a refresh on the page. Then I switched to Firefox and gave it another shot. Ah-ha. I got this message;

      Microsoft Internet Explorer® browser (version 5.5 or above) is required to support AT&T VRS service.

I don't know about you, but I think every website should be compatible with not only IE, but also Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.  It would be a golden day when everyone agrees on a standard for web browsing including DOM, javascript, html, xml, css, etc. But that's another (long) topic.

Anyhow, they do offer your own 10-digit number, VCO IP-relay, and an address-book that will work on all of them..

They used to provide a software called "VSoft" where you could download it to your computer, but it is no longer available. Captel or VRI are not supported either. Also, they stated "VRS calls in Spanish are currently not permitted. The FCC is considering whether or not to allow VRS calls of this type. As soon as the FCC reaches a decision, we will post it here on the FAQ page."

Hearing people may call @ 1-888-VRS-9998.

Finally, it was time for some human interaction. I called AT&T's Video Relay Service @ ATTVrs.tv and at the same time, I was hungry, so I ate and signed at the same time. You know how some interpreters hate that, but the one I got was fantastic. She matched my body language and facial expression very well. I would recommend her to anyone if I knew her name. The friend that I called agreed, she thought the interpreter was bubbly and energetic in her voice.  She expressed herself verbally very well and efficiently.  She was a very good interpreter.  The only thing my friend noticed was that at the beginning of the call, she did not identify herself as working for a VRS company or that she was an interpreting a phone call for someone, she simply began to talk.  That was different,  but at the same time it worked out just fine.

Next VRS Provider: BISVRS 

2 comments:

  1. Give growing ConvoRelay a shot! It is deaf-owned!

    Tousi

    ReplyDelete