Monday, March 15, 2010

AmericanVRS : Is It right for Deaf Americans?

Today's VRS Provider, "AmericanVRS"'s turn for review!


Once again, I used VP-200 to call @ amvrs.tv (212-990-1234). I got a gentleman with a bristly beard. He never SMILED. He was absolutely stoic. Anyway, I gave him the number I wanted to call. The connection between us became bad right away and  I couldn't understand a word he said. There was about a 5 second delay between us.  He said  that I had given him an incorrect phone number which was impossible because the number I was calling was my own mother's phone number. So I hung up and called again, hoping for a new interpreter with a better connection. No luck. I got the same man. The video quality got much better, but then it began to deteriorate rapidly. I couldn't understand him and he kept saying he couldn't connect my call. After 5 minutes, I gave up.

On the other hand, their website (http://www.americanvrs.com/Default.aspx) looks very nice. My first thought was, "what modeling agency did they use?" Ha ha. Where are the guys? Not that I am complaining! It's just that we live in a world where everything must be politically correct. Tsk.

Anyway, they offer 911 services, a software for you to download on either PC or MAC, VRI capability, Captel, and Ip-Relay. However, it looks like they do not offer VCO.

Furthermore, one more feature that I really noticed was their ability to do both Domestic and International calls. I am not currently aware of any other VRS providers who can do International calls. This could be a great tool for those who wants to do business or host a conversation with someone outside of the United States.

FYI, I am unable to find a number for Hearing people to use to call. Again, if you get your 10-digit number, they can call you directly instead.

Next VRS Provider: AT&T (ATTVRS)

8 comments:

  1. Actually you can use any VRS to call outside the U.S. as long as one end of the call is in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I'll look into that.

    Thank you for bringing that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check the website called myVRS Relay Central at http://www.myvrs.org they list all VRS providers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it deaf owned?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I will make sure to call every VRS provider listd on myvrs.org. Thank you for the link!

    And I cannot find anything that indicates AmericanVRS is owned by Deaf. It seems to be owned by http://www.american.net/.

    If I find out, I'll make sure to post it here.

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  6. AmericanVRS is run by hearing company as american.net yes...

    myvrs.org says will have big upgrades in April so look for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. American VRS is not Deaf and not even American! It is owned by an Indian man in New York City.

    ReplyDelete