Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The SorensonVRS Rumor... What's Coming Next???

The following is a rumor that has yet to be confirmed. SorensonVRS is planning to release the next generation videophone sometimes this year. I am sure many of you are familiar with SorensonVRS and their products, but for those of you who aren't familiar, here is a description of their services.

SorensonVRS is an independent, certified (approved by FCC) Video Relay Service Provider. It's headquarters is located in Salt Lake City. There are supposedly 100 call centers all over the USA, and also a few in Canada, Puerto  Rico and Mexico.

They do not offer Captel or any software to download onto your PC or MAC.

However, if you choose SorensonVRS as your default provider, you will get their "Gold Services" which consists of:


  • Free Videophone => currently VP-200
  • E911 => When calling 911 through VRS, you do not need to provide your address or name. (But it makes it quicker)
  • 10-digit number
  • Contact Lists (up to 500)
  • Free Tech Support
  • Extensive Outreach and Customer Training Programs
  • SignMail => Hearing people can leave a message on your videophone, computer, or iphone.
  • Call Waiting => You can put your caller on hold while accepting another incoming call.
  • Automatic updates
  • VP Moving Program => If you move to another location, SorensonVRS can assist you rehooking your videophone again.
  • SorensonVideo center => You can watch SignMail, personalized education and tech support,as well as entertaining videos on your videophone.
They also offer their own version of IP-Relay called "SIPRelay".You can get your own 10-digit number for the SIPRelay as well. They do have their own specialized software for Blackberry, but you can still use SIPRelay from any other cellphones that support AIM.

You can call SorensonVRS at svrs.tv or call.svrs.tv

Hearing people can call SorensonVRS at (866) FAST-VRS or (801) 287-9403.
They do offer Trilingual services. Rapidovrs.tv for Deaf and Hearings living in USA can call at 1-866-9 VRSLATINO (only for US) or for those who are living in Mexico they can call  001-877-510-7655.


To test the system, I made a call to my friend using a SorensonVRS interpreter. The conversation was about a mishap with a  flight schedule and the notorious plane delays that were involved.

The first interpreter I got was a male interpreter who I thought was very unprofessional. He displayed a depressed personality, he didn't show any enthusiasm whatsoever. In addition he was careless. This made understanding the interpreter more difficult.Finally, I had enough and I asked the interpreter to transfer me to another interpreter. He did respect my wishes and transferred me to another male interpreter. What a huge difference. He was full of energy and warmth. I could tell right away he was going to be a good interpreter. Anyway, the conversation went smoothly. I understood the interpreter with ease. My hearing friend's comments were "The first interpreter was lousy. I barely could hear him and he had an accent that was difficult to understand. He totally confused my story about flying to New York and having to change planes in Philadelphia." My friend was happy that I switched interpreters, it made all the differences in the world.

Next VRS Provider : FedVRS

8 comments:

  1. Drew,

    Thanks for sharing your experience about the first interpreter (the lousy one). Is there a way of notifying Sorensen about him (I wonder why he was hired in the first place) -- so that in the future deaf callers would not experience like yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "Gold Services" seem to be old news. Maybe to you it is NEW. Problem with folks that uses SorensonVRS was that they do not really pay attention what kind of Interpreter they have. Always a problem. I am not here "bashing" SorensonVRS, no way for I support any kind of communication equipment they or other VRS provider have. They need to "polish" up their services BIG TIME!!!!. Re Evaluate their Interpreters again....carefully! Good Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drew,

    What are the Canadians and Mexicans doing to make the VP calls from their base point of call with the funds coming from the American phone customers?

    Could u find out more how the Canadians and Mexicans pay for the Sorenson VP calls?

    RLM

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new VP rumor from Sorenson is really old news. I've been hearing that for years. Thats how they keep you hooked on their services and keep using VP200 in order to get the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously you are paid by SorensonVRS. Your story is no good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Everyone - Thanks for all the questions and comments. Please keep posting feedback, I am grateful that you take the time to read my blog and contribute.

    I have already passed on the questions and hope to be back with Ann's answers ASAP.

    Also, I wanted to clear up one small thing (in reference to an anonymous post). I am not representing any company (except my beta idea for www.inmylingo.com - please feel free to give me feedback about it as well).

    I am not getting any compensation in any form (free products, money, etc) for any posts whether it is about any VRS provider, resource, news, etc. FYI, I still have about 10-15 more VRS providers to go. :)

    Anyway, as soon as I get a follow up from Ann, I'll post it here.

    Thanks for your continued support!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TECHNOLOGY IS IMPORTANT BUT VRS QUALIFIED AND CERTIFIED MORE IMPORTANT RIGHT?

    best question to ask if SORENSON HIRE NON CERTIFIED VRS TERPS. I NOT WANT NON CERTIFIED TO MAKE MEDICAL AND LEGAL CALLS FOR ME WHEN I USE SERVICES!!

    More important is if all VRS interps are certified AND qualified. Read this for more info. More VRS companies are hiring NON-CERTIFIED and firing certified terps. WHY? because GOVT pays same 6.00 a minute NO MATTER IF CERTIFIED OR NOT!

    IF YOU FIND ANSWER YOU WILL SHOCK!

    WE MUST Complain to FCC! See here:
    http://stopnoncertifiedvrs.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete
  8. Vrscomments@sorenson. Com to say terp was good or bad

    ReplyDelete