Monday, February 22, 2010

Can Deaf "see/hear/feel/smell/taste" music?

A friend told me about a video clip that I had to watch.


After watching this, it brought up a classic question that has befuddled everyone, 

"Does music touch everyone's heart regardless?" 

Is everyone capable of experiencing the thrill of music? When Deaf people go to music clubs to dance, are they really 'dancing" to the music? When Deaf people crank up the music in their cars, are they really "enjoying" it?

Most people have told me:
  • Yes I do "feel" music and I love it!
  • I feel absolutely nothing and I don't care for it.
  • Music gives me nausea.
  • It depends on the situation. I can't hear it, but I like feel the vibrations when I am in a movie theater or something.
What about you? 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Drew, I really enjoyed this post and it got me thinking of a response that will do it justice, So I posted on my blog and linked it to your site.. http://joeywritecan.blogspot.com/2010/02/music-in-heart-of-matter.html

    Thanks for sharing such an amazing video!

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know this link... Nice video... Thanks for sharing...
    sala prove milano

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone who states to be able to sense music in any other way than hearing is a dirty liar, or feels so bad about lacking this sense that they need to lie to themselves in order to feel better (thus saying: "Yes! I totally feel music!")
    I bet if I heaved my fists here and there where ever on the piano, you'd "feel the music flow through your body and relax you," huh?

    ReplyDelete